Enter and Elevate

Friday, January 05, 2007

It's a New Year!

Well Katie and I are back in beautiful, and-not-yet-feeling-like-winter-even-though-it's-January, Iowa after a fantastic and enjoyable vacation back to Southern California. We had 11 days to see family, friends, In-n-Out and the beach, which was very sweet. But like many of us, we celebrated New Years in San Diego and got to ring in a fresh start that we have built into our calendar. And I am not a big resolution making person, however this year, as my first year as a full-time student's pastor, I really wantt o grow in some areas this year and develop and improve in some areas. So (drum roll please), here are my top 5 goals for this year:

#5 - Manage My Time More Effectively

I know that many of us say this and we all know that youth ministry is often overwhelming and that there is never enough time to do everything that needs to be done, so while I am at work, i want to be more effective at using my time well. To focus on what really matters, and work hard at making the most of the day, so that I can rest and relax and enjoy my days of more. I want to give God my best this year, in how I use my time.

#4 - To Be A Better Leader

I really want to work hard on leading better this year, to lead my team, lead this ministry and lead the students towards an intense love affair with God. I want to be an example of authenticity and integrity. I want to be a trustworthy leader and a leader who leads a team to risk BIG for the Kingdom of God. I never want to settle in how we are leading this ministry for students, but if we want this ministry to grow, then we have to be growing as leaders, and I want to be a great model of that. Solomon tells us in Proverbs to pursue wisdom, and he was the wisest man who ever lived... so how much more do I need to pursue wisdom in order to lead well. I want to be the kind of leader that the members of my team, and our volunteers, and our students know that I have their back no matter what, and that I will be the first on and the last one off the field. I want to lead Big!

#3 - Become a Better Communicator

I want to consistently push myself to be clearer, more creative and more compelling of a communicator of God's truth to our students. I want to listen to other communicators that are making it happen in their churches, businesses or organizations and learn from them. I want to learn from those who are the best in their field. We will start recording our messages this weekend, and I am going to listen to all the messages that we teach our students so that I can improve how we communicate the most important message in the universe. I want to teach the students HOW to use the Bible to change their lives. The Bible says that it is useful for "everything in life and how to live it the way God wants us to," and I want to be successful at showing students how what God says APPLIES to their lives and middle school and high school students today in the 21st century. So you can bet that I will be watching and listening to a lot of Andy Stanley and Perry Noble and others this year...

#2 - Continue To Be Creative in How We Do Student Ministry

The church is to be the most creative, exciting and innovative place on the planet because we have the Spirit of God, the ultimate creative being, living inside of us and empowering us to reach His lost children with the message of His love! I want to push myself to try new things and dream big and inspire others to live out the dreams that God has placed in their hearts and minds. I never want to be someone who stifles a dream that furthers the Kingdom of God and the mission of our church! I am so excited for this next year because we already have some really crazy things planned, and we are just getting started! It will be rad to see what God has in store for us as we are open to His wind moving through us. I want people to be consistently saying, "Wow, I never knew you could do that in church!" Its gonna be great!

#1 - Love, Adore, Discover and Serve Katie Better Than Ever Before!

I have the best wife in the world. She is my best friend, she makes me laugh, she is an incredible lover of students and family and she is super sexy! I want this to be the best year of our lives! I want to adore her and serve her and learn to lay aside what I want to make her happy. I feel that I have always, but I want to rediscover what it means to "love her like Christ loved the church, and gave Himself for her." This is my ultimate goal, and I want to make sure that she never questions that she is my first priority. I want to make sure I never put our work or our ministry before her, which is a tendency that we all struggle with. She is so amazing and I want to make sure she feels that way.

So what do you think? Good list huh! Anyways, now we are back so look for more posts soon. I am so excited for this weekend at church! We are starting our new series, called "Baggage Check" and it's going to be amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home