Enter and Elevate

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bible Journey: Ephesians

I have always loved this book of the Bible. It is so full of wisdom for leaders. The patterns of Paul of opening with encouragment and the giving correction is such an important thing for me to remember. All too often and I quick to correct and may come across as hard spoken or judgemental, and Paul encouraged, 'those of you who are spiritual, encourage those who fall gently, with humility.' I am also reading Axiom, which is Bill Hybel's new book of leadership proverbs that he has learned over the last 30 years of starting and growing one of the more influential and fastest growing churches in America. The chapter I read a few nights ago was about being careful how you begin and end conversation with your team of leaders. It was so encouraging to see how Paul did that as well in his letters to the church at Ephesus. Even as he challanges them to 'live in the light' and be aware of the battle that is going on all around them for their friends and families, he is never short on words of afirmation and affection. It was inspiring to me that his love for this church in particular was deeply evident in his words and thoughts, and that is something that inspires me to be a better lover of the Church. As frustrating and disappointing that the Church can be, I want to be passionatley in love with her, just as Christ is. In my present context, I all too often focus on producing a great service, or making sure that everything is running smoothly as it should, and I often forget to stop and just be a lover of the Church. To stop and encourage the people that make up the Bride of Jesus. To treat her with respect and dignity as I would another's wife. To focus on people and make the most of the opportunities that I have for relationship. Because that is where the Church is at it's best, and that is where the battle Paul talks about is won, in the space between two voices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home