Enter and Elevate

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Creating A High Trust Team Environment

I have been listening to Andy Stanley's Leadership Podcast and it has been helping me immensely to put important leadership principles into simple words that I can implement. Last week I listened to an Episode called "Trust vs. Suspicion" and it totally wrecked me. In a good way. I think that creating a High Trust Team Environment is one of the highest challenges a leader has on her or his plate because if you have a team you work with people, and they will let you down. And learning how to navigate those situations with finesse and grace can be a make-or-break lesson in the life and legacy of a leader. So anyway here are some of my thoughts I wrote down while I was listening to it:

“I am going to trust you, and I am going to be trustworthy.”

Trustworthiness is not about being flawless, it’s about being approachable and honest.

A trustworthy person addresses the gaps that they have created, either intentionally or unintentionally.

3 Commitments:
- I commit to doing what I say I’ll do, and when I don’t, I’ll tell you (You will not hear it from anyone else, before you hear it from anyone else.)
- I commit to over promise and under deliver, but if it looks like it’s going that direction, I will tell you.
- If you confront me about the gaps I have created, I am going to tell you the truth.

3 Levels of Blame:
- Blame a Person
- Blame Human Nature
- Blame the System

What is the first line of response when someone does something wrong in your culture?

Creating a culture of trust impacts whether the information gets to you quickly and accurately.

When you communicate, “We don’t trust you,” people will live up to that low expectation.

A mistake is not mortal, covering for a mistake may be.

The risk that is taken by owning up to your mistake, is determined by the maturity and security of the senior leader.

Don’t label people’s personalities by their behavior. (Makes an untrustworthy decision... does not make the person untrustworthy)

Don’t micro-manage the process, but do review the product before it goes public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home